Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Home Management: Scheduling

Scheduling is one thing I didn't know I needed to know anything about when I first became a home manager, aka wife & mother. I just did what needed to be done, when it needed to be done and for the most part I had plenty of time for everything and even had time for my hobbies. I didn't have to really follow a plan, I had enough brain power to keep track of everything mentally. hah!

Matter of fact, we made it through 'winging it' for at least the first five years even though our lifestyle was amazing with many moves and lots of international travel. However, after having settled overseas, speaking a different language (really drains brain power), with 3 children, the older two in need of some schooling, outside-the-home ministry commitments, a household to run (complete with an housekeeper - but don't get your hopes up, it was actually MORE work to have hired help in my home), it became obvious that a little formal planning/organization would be helpful if not absolutely necessary.

Fast forward several years, and find me today, add in 2 more children and lots more international moves and...
I would seriously lose my mind without my schedule!
My schedule is my mind on paper. It keeps us all happy. I know what I 'should' be doing, the kids know what to expect next, and it gives me something to show Micah and anyone else who wonders what we do all day!

So, without further ado, see our schedule here.


Some of my notes on scheduling:
taken from pdf link above
A schedule is so helpful as a guide. Yet, I cannot let myself become a slave to my schedule. You see, many times something happens that throws us off, and we need to be flexible enough to
realize that God sometimes ordains interruptions! We use our schedule so that when the
inevitable happens, we can get back on track quickly and easily. Sometimes we pick up where we left off, other times as the situation allows, we skip the stuff that can be skipped and just take from up wherever we are at the time, after we’ve cleaned up the toothpaste from all over the hallway and can focus again on the things at hand :)

Because I’m the main one to keep everyone on task, I’ve listed my name first, then kids in
order from oldest to youngest, and lastly Micah... he’s only on here so that I can have a general
idea of what he’s doing. He’s agreed to all of the above, and his work hours are obviously left
blank. :)

Sometimes {okay, many times}, having multiple children it is hard to keep track mentally
what everyone should be doing at any given moment & the kids are quite expert at scattering... all throughout the day, but, especially during schooltime! On the timetable, ‘table time’ is highlighted to call attention to the times that we all should be gathered together. This is mainly for me, so that with one quick glance at my watch and then the timetable, I can easily see what is coming up :)

Some days we head out at lunchtime to eat a ‘menu’. On these days the schedule will change, @ 12:30pm we’ll leave the house, to return around 2:00pm. We’ll just take our memory
box with us.

On the subject of personal exercise, I don't have it scheduled. If I were really trying to lose weight, or in need of some extra self-discipline in that area, I'd probably schedule it in on the main schedule. However, my reality is that some mornings I do try to get out for some exercise and I have an alternate schedule for those days. Otherwise, I’ll use my afternoon free time when it isn’t TOO hot outside.

Though I have all the kids chores/duties and school subjects listed here for quick reference,
we use other charts/schedules to keep track of those. {I’m ever-so-slightly-list-crazy} Technically, we should be able to get by with just this list.

** Momma’s free time is (barring all exceptions & interruptions which are all too common):
Tues, Thurs, Fri from 2 - 5:30
Mon, Wed from 4 - 5:30

** Bria and Josiah’s school is new this year and is loosely as follows:
9-9:45 (@table) Bible, color, trace/copy letters
10 (@table) Math games
11-11:15 AO Read-alouds (no required narration for Siah) & SWR phonograms
11:15 (@table) Phonograms, Rule cards, 3-5 fingerspell practice drills
Read-alouds at bedtime

9 comments:

Dad said...

Coming from your Dad....thinking when you were at home and we had a much looser schedule while growing you and your brother up.....You are,and have been for quit a long time now, beyond amazing in what you and Micah, but especially you, do in the organizing! I'm in awwwwwwwwwwh ! Good girl ! PS. Can't wait to see you girls soooooooon !

Jeanne said...

Glad it helps. I'm still trying the winging it approach, but it sounds like you've got it all well under control. I have your Dad to quote when I say you're amazing!! I'm in awe too.

Jeanne said...

Where are you? You've disappeared off the edge of the Earth!!

Praying everything is okay...

Sarah Chrastina said...

I am loving your blog... seriously a life-saver as I feel I am drowning in this task of hsing with AO for the first time. Searching for help and sanity. Would LOVE to see your 'daily schedule' but the link on this post is not working? Please help! thanks for all your great info/encouragement on here. so nice to find you.
from Sarah in TX.

amy in peru said...

Sarah Christina...
thanks for the heads up! it should be working now!

:)

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! ;)

Anonymous said...

I too love your blog. You are teaching me so much! I follow your blog mostly for all of your AO info, but I too would love to see your schedule, but I still don't think the link is working. Could you try again please :) Thanks for blogging all of your experience. You are a great inspiration and encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I still don't think that the link for the schedule is working. Help! :) I am with Sarah, I love your blog, too. You are a huge encouragement and inspiration. [which is why I need to see that schedule ;)]Thanks so much!!

amy in peru said...

this has to be the weirdest thing ever with this file... I promise I've fixed it like three or four times now!!

here's the link here too just in case my fixing it this time {again} doesn't seem to do the trick :)

right click here to save as to your computer :)

Arlene said...

An extremely helpful blog for a family just starting out with CM! Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive